FICS Teamleague

Board

Teamleague Forum

posted at 2012-02-11 13:36 by wmahan

I thought I would start this forum so anybody who is interested can read about changes to the website and TeamLeague bot, and as a place to report bugs. Here is a quick summary of the changes so far in 2012:

ΓΆ€ΒΆ I edited the team submission form to provide some guidelines and correctly display a message when a team was submitted. This form could still be improved; for example, it could enforce the order of players entered.
ΓΆ€ΒΆ fernbap and I fixed some issues with the game forum relating to the move to the new server. When trying to view the game forum, a message like INSERT INTO sendmess (`ID`, `handle`, `email`, `from`, `subject`, `message`, `group`) values (null... would be shown instead. This happened when someone posted a message to a game forum with a quote (') character. Such issues have been mostly, but maybe not entirely, fixed now.
ΓΆ€ΒΆ I tweaked the TD forum to make it easier to use.
ΓΆ€ΒΆ I simplified the links to completed games, made some old links to completed games work again, and made the links to completed games in TD game forums work again.
ΓΆ€ΒΆ Fernbap and I moved the passwords out of the code so that we can manage the website and bot with git.
ΓΆ€ΒΆ I removed several obsolete files from the server.
ΓΆ€ΒΆ I updated the code to get the year dynamically, so it is no longer necessary to edit the code at the start of a new year.
ΓΆ€ΒΆ I fixed a database problem that prevented standings from updating automatically, and made a change to prevent it from happening again.
ΓΆ€ΒΆ I made it so that when a logged-in user tries to go to a page other than the home page for the first time in a browsing session, the requested page is shown, rather than the home page. (Maybe I am the only one who noticed this, but it annoyed me greatly).
ΓΆ€ΒΆ I fixed the players management page for admins, which was broken because of some invalid HTML.
ΓΆ€ΒΆ I fixed a couple of minor errors in the code that were filling the server logs with error messages.
ΓΆ€ΒΆ I updated the link TDs and admins can use to start the bot so that it automatically restarts in case it dies.


Possible future changes:
ΓΆ€ΒΆ Improvements to the forum: somehow make new posts more visible; fix bug with titles that are too long; preview.
ΓΆ€ΒΆ A possible TeamLeague blog using some software written by fernbap.
ΓΆ€ΒΆ Updates to the game forum, especially read-only viewing by teammates.
ΓΆ€ΒΆ Someone requested links to PGN files for all the games in each round.

posted at 2013-02-20 11:04 by greatsachin

Serious work going on Teamleague. Thanks time spent by you guys!! Site is increasingly becoming attractive!!

posted at 2013-02-22 08:24 by KRMCHESS

I'm unsure if it's that important but default results (e.g. forfeit or unplayed draws) don't seem to get updated to standings or at least are delayed a lot more than normal results. It could be a design feature but in case it got missed I thought I would point it out. It's a fairly minor issue either way since results are updated on pairings page

posted at 2013-02-22 13:23 by wmahan

It has always been that way. It has to do with the fact that the standings are generated by the bot, and typically forfeits are recorded through the website. The website and bot were written by different people, and there is a lack of coordination between the two in this case.

TL admins can use a bot command to refresh the standings at any time, so I haven't considered it a priority.

posted at 2013-02-23 03:15 by KRMCHESS

I see, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying issue in an informative way as you always do